Monday, July 9, 2007

Say Hello to an Old Friend



I am kind of misleading you with the title a bit but I am feeling a little mischievous as I write this post. This past week I had the pleasure of enjoying something I have not had in a long time. Especially since I have been dieting because I really liked lathering this friend up with butter and sugar. Okay get your mind out of the gutter. The friend I am speaking of is the often forgotten Acorn Squash.

Yep its just a squash, but this is a blog about food after all. I could make a meal on just these squash baked up with lots of butter and some sugar sprinkled on top. I had thought about trying to prepare them in a low fat version but just hadn’t done it until now. They are so simple to make and very good indeed. You just slice them in half, clean out the cores and put them on a baking sheet. They need to bake for about an hour at around 350 degrees. When they are done just take them out and squeeze a little Smart Squeeze or your favorite nonfat margarine substitute on them and then sprinkle with Splenda.

They were fabulous if I do say so myself. If you are tired of just the same old vegetable choices say hello to a friend of mine, the Acorn Squash.

0 comments: