Sunday, March 18, 2007

Low Fat Pepperoni Pizza

Points 4.3 per slice

One of the things I have missed the most while dieting is Pizza. I have been watching what I eat for the last eight weeks plus. In that time I have not had two of my favorite kinds of food, Pizza and Chinese food. I have had the occasional frozen Lean Cuisine or Weight Watchers offerings, but I haven’t had the real thing. Now I say I haven’t had Pizza because I am talking about regular high fat and cheesy Pizza.

To help me stay on my program I have looked around for recipes to reduce the calories and fat in my favorite foods. I have made this low fat Pizza about three times now and it has been satisfying every time. When you are shopping for the ingredients pay close attention to the nutritional information. For example some of the sauces you can select are very low in calories and fat. The dough is where most of the points come from so compare your dough choices to reduce the points from the crust. You can also experiment with the meats, I have used Turkey Pepperoni to prepare mine I am going to try a grilled chicken some time soon. If you are selecting one of the prepared chicken products be sure to read the label. Some of the prepared chicken products are higher in fat and calories.

Ingredients:

Pillsbury Classic Pizza Crust – you will find it in the refrigerated case
34 Hormel Turkey Pepperoni Slices
½ Cup of Fat Free Mozzarella Cheese
¼ Cup of Fat Free Cheddar Cheese
1 Cup of Pizza, Spaghetti or Pasta Sauce – I use Hunts Garlic and Herb Spaghetti Sauce it is lower in calories and fat than the other options at my grocer.
Italian Seasoning to Taste

Prepare the crust per the package instructions. The Pillsbury Pizza Crust I used has to be cooked for six minutes before you add the toppings. Spread the sauce, cheese and seasonings evenly before adding your meat. You can also add your favorite vegetables like mushrooms, peppers, onions ect. Finish baking the pizza per the instructions from the crust. I use a Pampered Chef stone to cook my pizza so the crust comes out just right. You may want to adjust the cooking time depending on how you like your crust.

Using the brands and portions I have listed above when you cut the pizza in six slices it comes to 4.3 points per slice with three of the points coming just from the crust. If you find a crust that is lower in points please let me know, I would love to get the points down a little more.

Enjoy.

0 comments: