Tuesday, August 7, 2007

Pre Weigh in Jitters




My regular weekly weigh in comes around in the morning and with the results of the last two weeks I am not excited about the visit to the scale in the morning. I did something this past Saturday that I don’t normally do, I check my weight that morning. It made me feel only slightly better, Wednesday is D-Day.

I have heard a lot of talk from other dieters about how often you should weigh yourself. Some recommend only weighing once per week while others say you should weigh every day. I see the good in both approaches but I have chosen to weigh once per week. I have fudged a time or two like this past Saturday, but for the most part I have stuck to the once a week pattern.

What are your thoughts? Pardon the pun, you can weigh in with your comments below.

8 comments:

Scott Hidalgo said...

Personally, I weigh myself each day when I wake up in the morning. Some would say that's a bit obsessive...maybe it is.

I don't freak out about big jumps in either direction, though, because over the years I've seen one day variances of +/- 5 pounds. I'm basically looking for a trend that lasts about a week or so. So, why not just weigh in once a week?

If I only weigh myself once a week and it shows a 2 pound increase, how do I know if it's just a normal variance or a real jump in weight? Without seeing the trends throughout the week, I wouldn't.

That's my reasoning anyway. As they say, your mileage may vary.

Joey said...

(You mileage may vary) that is a very good way to put it. I have been tempted to weigh every day so I could jerk the wheel (more car analogies) if I saw an upward tick. But I am afraid for me if I weigh every day then the diet will be even more of a beating.

Christine said...

I do weigh myself every day - but I only take the results of Saturday. I have noticed the trend in my weight during the week and its very interesting to see it go up and down.

My Saturday is my D Day. And Saturday is also the day that I treat myself to something. :)

Good luck tomorrow.

Joey said...

Thanks Christine.

So what kinds of things do you treat yourself with? I read on someone's blog before that for every five pounds she lost she bought herself a new outfit.

Lift Heavy Rock said...

I weigh in once a week on Sunday morning, first thing. I also often take a Mid-week peek to make sure the scale wasn't lying to me. Basically, I weigh in as many times as it takes to keep my sanity.

Joey said...

Amen for Sanity.

Roni said...

I'm a daily weigher. There are too many things that effect the number that I was to learn how my body reacts to things. If I only weigh in once a week then I don't know if it's actually weight I lost/gained or if it was water. That being said I only count my weekly weigh ins as my current weight.

I don't know if that makes any sense! LOL

So I take a daily scale reading and a weekly official weigh in. Hope that helps!

Joey said...

I think I understand what you are saying Roni. You guys are starting to win me over to the weigh every day camp.